What Is Premarital Coaching?
Premarital coaching focuses on better understanding yourself, your partner and your relationship so that you have a clearer idea of what your future together will look like. So, you can have a long-lasting, loving and fulfilling marriage.
Premarital coaching can give you an outside perspective on your relationship and your life as a whole.
Who Can Benefit from Premarital Coaching?
Premarital coaching is for couples who consider becoming engaged, are engaged, are about to get married, or have pre-marriage jitters, doubts, concerns, issues or relationship problems.
Why Do You Need Premarital Coaching?
Marriage is a long-term commitment with social and legal components. It is worth reflecting on your personal life and relationship to know what you are getting yourself into. It is better to ensure you and your partner are compatible before committing. So that you have a greater chance of having a happy marriage.
Many couples get married for the wrong reasons like convenience, social pressure or expectations. If you do it for any of these reasons, you may find yourself in a relationship with a lot of commitment which is unhappy and unfulfilling.
How Can Premarital Coaching Help?
Premarital coaching can help you build a solid foundation for a long-lasting and loving partnership and marriage. It can help you gain clarity about your relationship and understand what you are getting yourself into.
We will explore your reasons for getting married and your expectations.
You will identify whether your doubts are objective or not. Once you identify your doubts, you will know if you are with the right partner. Coaching can also help you address any issues you may have in your relationship and address them before you commit.
During the process, you should also consider the possibility that you may not be able to solve some of your problems and you will face
- A choice of getting married knowing that you have such problems
- Postpone the wedding to work on your issues and resolve them
- End the relationship if there is a realisation that the problems and issues are beyond what you and your partner can change. This option may sound harsh, however, it may be the most sound when you consider the option of still getting married and having an unhealthy and unhappy marriage later on.
What Can You Expect from Premarital Coaching?
Living together can be challenging as two people with different life experiences and upbringing come to be and live together. During premarital coaching, you will assess your compatibility as a couple and how your ideas, values and beliefs fit together.
You will get to recognise your strengths and weaknesses. As well as your reactions and the emotions you experience when you are under stress. So that you get an idea of what the interaction with your partner looks like now. We will help you navigate challenging situations together.
Premarital coaching can help you to understand:
- Your past and your family
- Your partner’s past and their family
- How your upbringing affects your behaviour
- Your habits
- Your values and beliefs
- The expectations of one another
- Your needs and desires
- The way you communicate with each other and how it affects your relationship
- Recognise the influence of your family and friends on your behaviour and how it affects your partner or not
- How this relationship fits with your life goals and ambitions
- What is involved in the marriage commitment you are embarking into
You will learn:
- What makes a successful marriage
- About you and your partner as individuals and as a couple
- How to bring your best self to your relationship
- Whether your ideas, values and beliefs align
- How to create a deep and meaningful connection with your partner
- How to communicate better about your finances, family and intimacy
- Establish boundaries
- Create a shared vision for your life together
Premarital coaching will reassure you by knowing the source of your doubts or confirmation that your relationship is strong. In the case of the first, it helps you identify and address the issues that are in your relationship. Your coach will provide you with guidance and an unbias perspective.
How Long Will It Take to Achieve Your Goals?
The number of sessions will depend on how deep you would want to dive in.
Stage 1 – 3 sessions of 1.5 h each
- Identify your doubts, problems and concerns to see how objective your doubts, problems and concerns are.
Stage 2 – 6 sessions of 1.5 h each
- Assessing how compatible you are and how you handle disagreement and resolve conflicts.
- Assess your reasons for getting married as well as your expectations
To uncover how compatible you are and have a clear perspective of how you and your partner work as a team.
Stage 3 – 10 to 12 sessions of 1.5 h each
This stage depends on the finding of stages 1 and 2. Address the issues, gain clarity, resolve problems, and set goals and realistic expectations. Here, we will address everything that requires attention for you to have a healthy and happy marriage.
- You will work on understanding each other, and your insecurities and limitations so that they don’t become the source of your problems during your marriage.
- Our second focus is learning how to handle conflict healthily.
If you would want to work on the issues we encounter and practice different ways to improve your communication and gain a deeper connection, then 10 to 12 sessions may do the job.
This stage will depend on your findings. Some couples may discover that they have deeper problems that need more time to be resolved and addressed. Other couples may find out that they are not compatible and that their values and beliefs don’t align. This will eventually create conflict. Other couples may realise that they are married for the wrong reasons or have unrealistic expectations.
How Much Does Premarital Coaching Cost?
How Do I Get Started?
An introductory session will cover and answer those questions