Activities bring life into your long-distance relationship. Doing a variety of activities can help you improve your communication and make your long-distance relationship fun and exciting.
Here is a mix of our top activities that can spice up your long-distance relationship:
- Conversation starter games.
- Card games.
- Cooperation games.
- Couple’s getaways.
- Intimate and meaningful conversations.
- Share feelings.
- Share experiences by visiting each other and going on trips together.
- Doing things in your home towns or go away together.
- Play online games.
- Send each other gifts.
For a healthy long-distance relationship and your general well-being, you should have a mix of different activities.
Today will talk about various activities you can do in the long-distance relationship with some examples.
Relationship-Building Activities for Long-Distance Couples
When you are in a long-distance relationship, you can divide all activities into two groups: online activities and in-person activities.
You can also divide activities into those you do only with your long-distance partner, and the ones you do with people in your life and with people in your partner’s life.
Finally, you can also separate activities by an intention. For example, bonding activities can help you build a stronger and more successful long-distance relationship. Other activities can help you focus on your life goals and ambitions.
Group activities with people in your proximity will help you grow and develop as a person. Group activities with your long-distance partner and people in their life will help you get to know your partner better and spend fun time with them and become part of their life.
Relationship-building activities can help you get to know someone you’ve met online. When you start a long-distance relationship with someone you’ve never met, you have a few months to get to know them and decide if they are the right person for you.
At the beginning of the relationship, it can be tricky to bring up some topics. Suppose you are already in a relationship and for some reason, you have to separate and be long-distance. In that case, the right activities will keep you connected through the times you are away from your partner.
Relationship-building activities can help you:
- Get to know each other
- Improve communication
- Make relationship fun and exciting
- Help you solve problems
- Make a plan for the future of your long-distance relationship and a timeline for you to know how long will it last and what do you want at the end of it.
Relationship-Building Activities You Can Try with Your Long-Distance Partner
- Conversation starter games
- Card games
- Cooperation games
- Couple’s getaways
Bonding Activities for a Long-Distance Relationship
When you are in a long-distance relationship, it can be challenging to maintain physical closeness and emotional connection.
Bonding activities can help you:
- Create a connection with someone you just met.
- Maintain a connection with your current partner.
- Build trust with your partner.
- Develop an understanding.
Bonding Activities You Can Do with Your Long-Distance Partner
- Have intimate and meaningful conversations.
- Share feelings.
- Share experiences by visiting each other and going on trips together.
- Do things in your home towns or go away together.
- Play online games.
- Send each other gifts.
Online Activities for a Long-Distance Relationship
Online activities are the things you can do regardless of where you are in the world. For example, you can play multiplayer online games with your partner. It can be fun to play the same games online as you do in real life when you visit each other.
Let’s say you like chess (like I do). In this case, you could play chess during your visit when you see each other. When you are away, the two of you can play chess online. When you play chess online with your long-distance partner after having played it in real life, it will bring you the same feeling as when you are together.
Activities You Can Do in a Long-Distance Relationship
- A 3D tour of a place you’d like to visit.
- Multiplayer online games with your long-distance partner and their friends to be a part of their real life.
- Online games with your partner to see how you manage the competition, losing, winning, and supporting each other.
- Games that simulate a real relationship, like Sims, for example. You can play pretend what it will be like for you to live together and how you are going to make decisions and deal with real-life problems.
- Watch a movie together, kind of.
- Video calling while doing something fun and exciting to share that special moment with your partner.
- Study exciting things that interest you both. This is one of my favourites, as it allows you to build your relationship while developing yourself as a person.
Online games can help you learn more about yourself and your partner’s character. There are games specifically for learning about each other like card games with personal questions. But any game that both of you are involved in emotionally will bring out the parts of you that would otherwise go unnoticed.
Group Activities for a Long-Distance Relationship
You can attend groups and classes with your partner, or you can do group activities with your or your partner’s friends and families.
Group Activities You Can Attend with Your Long-Distance Partner
- Health and fitness classes like yoga or pilates.
- Active and adventurous activities like climbing or go-carting.
- Cooking classes.
- Chocolate making classes.
- Jewellery making classes.
- Art and crafts classes like dancing, singing, pottery, painting, and drawing.
Group Activities You Can Do with Your Friends or with Your Partner’s Friends
- Have a little get together with friends to play board games and card games
- Adventure sports like sky diving or bungee jumping.
- If you have a bit more money and time you can go away for a weekend in a cabin with a group of friends or just the two of you.
- Go to a different country and explore a new culture.
- If you want to do a group activity from home, check out online experiences with a group of friends or family.
- Go to a new place and discover what it has to offer. In a new place, you can do sightseeing, explore other cultures and different forms of living.
The activities depend on where you are in the world. You can explore different activities that each of your hometowns has to offer. After that, you can travel to other cities or countries, depending on which activities appeal to you the most.
You can also pick a place that has something unique or extraordinary for you to try.
Sharing unique experiences will bring you closer as a couple and will leave you with a lot of memories to talk about in between your adventures when you aren’t together.
Fun Activities for a Long-Distance Relationship
Fun activities depend on your definition of fun. First of all, you need to agree that what is fun for you is also fun for your partner. Otherwise one of you will have to compromise, and that will be opposite of fun.
Both you and your partner must be thrilled and excited about doing a specific activity. The fact that you can do it as a couple makes it even more special.
Fun activities can range from playing online games together to going to explore a new country. But it can also be fun reading a new book and discuss it with your partner or watch the same movie then talk about it.
The idea is to share the same experience that will help you to grow closer, even if you are physically apart.
Fun Activities You Can Do in a Long-Distance Relationship
- Play online games when you are apart.
- When you are together, you can play card games and board games as a couple or with friends.
- You can either cook a special dish together or cook the same dish while video calling while you are apart.
- Go on an adventure scavenger hunt.
- Meet in a different state or country.
- Explore a different culture that is different from your own.
- Plan a trip and send the tickets in a Criptex to your long-distance partner. Once they solve the puzzle, they get the ticket to go to a place where they will get the next clue to meet you.
- A shorter version of that can be sending tickets in a Criptex for your partner to decipher. The surprise can be a ticket to meet you somewhere. For that, you will have to send them clues on how to decipher the Criptex.
For a practical guidance on the fun activities you can do while in a long-distance relationship, check out this workbook:
Activities and Ideas for a Long-Distance Relationship
You can never have too many ideas for a long-distance relationship. When you are away from your romantic partner, like in a long-distance relationship, you can often feel alone, wishing to have them close.
The more you focus on what you can’t have, the more challenging it will be for you and your relationship. Instead, try different couple’s activities to feel close and group activities to bring fun and excitement into your relationship.
When you can enjoy your long-distance relationship, you will also be able to appreciate the alone time. A long-distance relationship allows you the time to do things that are important for you, your life and well-being.
Activities and Ideas We Came up with that Can Bring Life into Your Relationship
- Go on a romantic and relaxing getaway with your partner.
- Spend a weekend in a cabin in the woods or a house in the sea.
- Spa getaways can be the perfect place to chill out if you need some pampering.
- Adventure getaways are full of excitement that leaves you and your partner with fun memories.
- Explore wild terrains of safari, mountains or jungles.
- Go bungee jumping, sky diving, kayak, or surfing.
- If all you have is a weekend, discovering new places with city breaks can be interesting, educational and exciting. You can learn some history beforehand and plan your route. So when you go and see the place, you will make the most of it. Planning itself can be exciting. It will give you a chance to work together towards a common goal and look forward to a fun activity.
- Learn a new language together.
- Create a bucket list of the places you would like to visit together.
- Airbnb offers different online experiences from around the world that you can do as a couple or a group.
After a while, such relationships can become boring, and couples lose interest, despite still feeling love for each other.
Bringing in a variety of activities into your long-distance relationship can make it fun and exciting. There are so many things and different activities you can do to bring your long-distance relationship to life.
The variety of activities will allow you to enjoy being in a long-distance relationship.
Imagine replacing struggling suffering of a long-distance relationship with actually feeling excited to be in one.
The moment you stop treating a long-distance relationship like the one where you live together, you will see the benefits that distance brings into a relationship. You can maintain a connection with your long-distance partner through different activities. At the same time, you get to have a lot of time for yourself to do the things you enjoy with people you love.
When you live together with your partner, you have to consider each other. This becomes a priority and can take over your preferences. So, in many ways, long-distance relationships can be more interesting and less strenuous than the ones where you live together with your partner.
With that in mind, the fact remains, that long-distance relationships shouldn’t last for too long. Having a romantic relationship means being physically close to your romantic partner.
Otherwise, your romantic relationship can turn into a long-distance friendship, which can also be great. You can embrace the joys of having an intimate friend over a long-distance and being open to having a romantic relationship with someone who is nearby.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to keep things interesting in a long-distance relationship?
You can keep your long-distance relationship interesting, educational and exciting by trying different activities. There are plenty of things you can do online or in real life, as a couple or in a group of friends and family.
How do you spend time in a long-distance relationship?
When you are in a long-distance relationship, spend time building your relationship, while having fun along the way. LDR’s can get monotonous and boring if you don’t spend time making it fun through games and fun activities.
How can I be creative in a long-distance relationship?
Creativity is the only way you can make your long-distance relationship work. Without trying new things and working on your relationship, it will quickly become boring. It will bring you more suffering than joy. When you can be creative, you can go from surviving your long-distance relationship to making the most of it, while having a lot of fun along the way.
HOW CAN COUPLES COACHING HELP YOU
1. Subscribe to our Newsletter
Receive Tips & Advice on how you can improve your relationship.
2. Read our Blog
Learn all there is to know about relationships and how to make them work. Here you can find helpful articles for every aspect of your relationship.
Get in touch to see how we can help!
3. Buy a Workbook
Check out our selection and choose the most relevant workbook for your relationship.
4. Book a Coaching Session
If you help right now…
If you have a burning issue…
If you are facing an important decision…
If you are lost and unsure about your relationship…